Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Am I Shallow For Not Wanting to Live in A Senior Community?

Sep. 23, 2015

Dear Cathy:

I am in my 60s and have been a widow for 10 years.  We never had kids.  I am thinking about selling my house and downsizing into an apartment or condo.  The apartments that I am looking at renting is $600 a month but at my age, I could pay $450 to live in a Senior Community?  Am I shallow for not wanting to live around Seniors -- even though I could save more money?  Shallow About Seniors, Georgia

Dear Shallow About Seniors:

No you are not shallow for not wanting to live around other Seniors.  This is your life and no one can make you do something you don’t want to do especially at your age.

Many Seniors and others don’t like shopping at stores on Senior day because it will be full of Seniors who often move slowly so many Seniors, even Seniors themselves, don’t want to live around other Seniors.  This is strictly your choice.

I believe many Seniors think that if they lived in Senior communities, they will end up assisting Seniors bring groceries in or with other chores.  And many Seniors think living around other Seniors, especially sick Seniors, will remind them of how they will be one day.   

As you get older, eventually your body will break down but what you need to remember is that “Getting old does not make you sick but getting sick makes you old.”

So saving as much money as you can on your rent to help you buy good food and other essential things as you age, will be very important. 

Also many Seniors are victims of crime today, so being safe should be at the front of your list, when you make this decision.  If your new apartments will provide more protection for you, compared to the Senior community, then by all means move there and be happy.


Read the book "Golden Years: How To Age Gracefully and Take Care of Seniors" so you will understand how to care for yourself and others as you age.

No comments:

Post a Comment