Thursday, September 24, 2015

How Long Will It Take for My VA Benefits To Get Approved?

Sep. 24, 2015

Dear Cathy:

I have been a veteran for 30 years but worked for the federal government and used my health insurance through them?  Under Obamacare my health insurance went up to $400 a month, so now I am ready to start using my VA benefits instead.  I injured my knee in boot camp some 30 years ago and have seen the doctor several times for this -- so I will also be applying for a disability for my injury.  How long will it take me to get my VA benefits approved?  Need VA Benefits, Virginia

Dear Need VA Benefits:

Each VA office is different.   I am sure you have seen over the past couple of years about the issues with VA.gov, which was exposed by whistleblowers at the VA.  So basically I would say if you are located in a city where there were no issues with VA or a city that have been revamped because of the issues, then you will be in good shape to receive your benefits and your disability over the next 6 months.

The VA benefits should start over the next 90 days or as soon as they can verify your status on your DD Form 214, certificate of release or discharge from active duty, so you should be able to see a doctor right away.  

However, it will take longer, 6 months or more, for you to get your disability approved.  Basically like everything else, you will have to fill out paperwork about your injury with documented proof that you have had issues in the past with doctor’s notes or witness statements. 

If you don’t have any of this, then you need to start going to the doctor now to have this documented in your records.  The good thing is once you are approved for your VA benefits, you can receive these funds for the rest of your life.  But going through all the procedures to get it approved, won’t be easy. 

However, what you need to do is contact VA.gov today for the closest office to you and work with a VA advocate.  Most VA offices have advocates that you should work with so they can help you fill out your disability paperwork.  Just ask for the Disability Advocate’s Office.  They know exactly how you need to fill out the paperwork to get approved so if I were you, I would not try to fill out this paperwork on your own. 

Even to get approved for your VA benefits to start seeing a doctor through their system, it will still be a good idea to sit down with these advocates and let them walk you through the process -- so contact your local VA.gov office today and get started. 

If you can’t find your copy of your DD 214, certificate of release or discharge from active duty, then your advocate can start a case file on you on the computer and order another one for you.



No comments:

Post a Comment