Tuesday, July 26, 2016

How Do I Stop Telemarketers from Calling Me?

July 26, 2016

Dear Cathy:

I am a homemaker and the mother of three young children who need to take naps during the day time and go to bed early at night. I have a hard time putting them down to nap because of phone calls from telemarketers.

My husband and I text each other so that he doesn’t wake up the children, so how can I stop telemarketers from disturbing my entire family? The calls continues up until 9:00 p.m. at night so this really frustrates us. Frustrated, Illinois

Dear Frustrated:

Yes this can be very frustrating especially for people who are not phone people. The USA.gov Consumer Action Handbook includes a number you can call to restrict telemarketing calls permanently by registering your phone number. It is 888-382-1222. This can also be done online at www.donotcall.gov.

If you receive telemarketing calls after your number has been in the national registry for 31 days, you can file a complaint using the same web page and toll-free number.

This will cut back on some of the calls you receive, but not all of them. Political organizations, charities and telephone surveyors with which you have a relationship can still get through. However, if you still find yourself being inundated, contact your phone provider and inquire about call-blocking 800 numbers. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment