Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Single Mother Feels Guilty Due to Lack of Funds

Jan. 21, 2015
​​
Dear Cathy:
​
I had a very brief marriage, however, we became the parents of 2 beautiful children.  My ex-husband never paid child support despite the fact that I tried to collect it.  He would just keep moving around to a different state so he did not have to pay it and being a single mother, I did not have the funds to keep hunting him down. 
​
The majority of the time when I was raising my kids on my own, we had very little funds so they never looked as good as other kids in school.  I always thought I did right by my kids.  So why do I still feel guilty today even though my kids turned out okay?  Feeling Guilty in Virginia
​
Dear Feeling Guilty:
​
Many mothers today are in your same position.  You feel guilty simply because you are a good mother -- and will be even a better grandmother.  Every mother feels guilty at one time or another because mothers are nurturers by nature.  
​
What your ex-husband did was called ‘state-hopping.'  This is when men (or women) would go from state to state in order to avoid the legal system especially in cases of child support.  
​
What happened in the past is in the past.  Mothers, especially single mothers, need to stop beating themselves up when they can't give their kids everything they would like to.  
​
Just remember that kids are resilient and as a mother you did everything you could to protect them.  Once your children finish with high school, chances are they will never see their old classmates again so I am sure they have moved on.  So forgive yourself and move on.  
​

No comments:

Post a Comment