Monday, September 28, 2015

Should I Leave College for Just A Little While?

Sep. 28, 2015

Dear Cathy:

My parents have very little money to help me in college. All 3 of my friends that came to college with me dropped out after a year so I am thinking about dropping out.  I am struggling financially in school and I am thinking about leaving for a little while so that I can save more funds.  Do you think this is a good idea or should I continue to keep struggling financially? Leaving College, Arkansas

Dear Leaving College:


Most students drop out of college the first year so this is when parents really need to be hands-on to help students cope with college. 

First of all you need to understand that great things come out of struggling.  Most people who have built beautiful lives for themselves and their families -- struggled at one time or another.

Ten years from now you will probably not even remember the names of your friends that dropped out of college so don’t drop out just because they dropped out. 

You should try to stay in school if you can because down the line, your credentials might pay off for you. The temptation to leave school for just a little while may seem to make sense, but it doesn’t.

Most Americans never graduated from college, but most of them went to college for at least a while.  So chances are if you leave college for a little while, you will get distracted and not return.

If you can, try to stay on the educational track by seeking out help from financial aid advisors, other professors or mentors in college and other adults -- before you make this important decision.

You will have the rest of your life to work, make money and buy all the finer things in life.  If you do it all too early, you are going to kill your chance to ever have the finer things in life.  So stay focused!

No comments:

Post a Comment