Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Pregnant Woman Abused by Husband

Mar. 9, 2016

Dear Cathy:

I am 35 and pregnant for the first time with my husband’s only child. I don’t work and my husband don’t want me to have people at our home, including family, so I rarely go out or see anyone. 

He goes out at least four nights a week and comes home smelling like perfume. I know I am depressed so my doctor prescribed antidepressants but my husband won’t allow me to take them. I am lost and don’t know what to do. What if things gets worse after the baby is born? What can I do? Needing Help, Chicago

Dear Needing Help:

At this point how much more worse can things get? It definitely sounds like your husband is an abuser who is controlling and emotionally abusive and might even be cheating on you -- so you need to prepare yourself.

Feeling depressed during a pregnancy under these circumstances isn't surprising so your feelings are to be expected. However, I would be careful taking any type of medication while pregnant because all medications have side effects.

If you have close friends and family, I urge you to tell them what’s going on but don't wait until you have the baby. And while you’re at it, contact The National Domestic Violence Hotline at www.thehotline.org. The phone number is 1-800-799-7233. You may need help to get safely away from the relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment