Friday, July 17, 2015

First Time Author Would Like To Be a Publisher

July 17, 2015

Dear Cathy:

I am writing my first book but I am also thinking about publishing books for other authors.  What would be some of the pros and cons of setting up my business in this manner?  First Time Author, Ohio

Dear First Time Author:

There are many advantages to writing a book and being an author will set you up in many ways to gain free publicity for your business.  If you chose to be a self-publisher, which means only writing your book and not putting other authors under your publishing company, you can still give seminars and workshops so this is how I set up my company, AngelsPress.com.

If you chose to write a book and start your own publishing company then you will still be in a position to grow a lucrative business by helping other authors with their books.  However, when you are dealing with other people, especially other authors, then more problems will arise. 

For instance, if you put these authors under your company and tell them in their contracts that you will market their books, if their books are not selling, they will be ready to sue you.  This is one reason I decided not to set my business up in this manner.

So instead of starting a Sole Proprietorship for this type of business, you will need to get incorporated or make sure you have a Limited Liability Corporation (or Company). 

There are many more pros and cons to being a self-publisher or publisher so check out my writing book “How To Write A Book:The Complete Guide to Writing and Selling Your Own Paperback or E-book" -- available as an e-book, paperback and audiobook.


No comments:

Post a Comment