Monday, August 31, 2015

End of Dancing Days

Aug. 31, 2015

Dear Cathy:

I use to dance all the time when I was younger.  During my lifetime, I won many dance contests so dancing has been a part of my life.  However, I recently got with a mate that do not like to dance.  Since my mate doesn’t enjoy dancing, I guess this is the end of my dancing days.  Is there anything that I can do?  End of Dancing Days, New Jersey

Dear End of Dancing Days:

If you have enjoyed dancing most of your life then why give it up as you age.  Just because your mate do not like to dance doesn’t mean it is the end of your dancing days. 

There is a lot you can do to continue dancing.  Most communities have different dance groups that meet at meetup.com groups and at other locations.  Many have partners to match you with, just to dance.  You just need to find them.  Your mate might even be opened to coming out to the groups and engaging in dancing also – so ask him. 

Movement is important, especially as you age, and dancing is a great exercise.  Try doing Zumba, which is just like dancing.  Dancing can also be so freeing -- so again, I would not give it up just because you ended up with a mate that doesn’t enjoy dancing.  Most mates don't always enjoy the same things, so why not continue to keep dancing so you can enjoy it way into your golden years.

No comments:

Post a Comment